You’ve booked that dream holiday, and you’re all ready to spend a week soaking up the sun’s glorious rays, but we know that taking care of your skin can be something that’s easily put on the backburner when you go on holiday. We’ve put together some easy tips so that your skin will stay healthy and beautiful, even in the hottest weather.
1) Start with your lips. This delicate skin can sunburn easily, so use a good lipbalm with SPF, to keep your pout protected.
2) Don’t forget your scalp. Use a sunscreen spray along your path and your hairline, to prevent painful sunburn.
3) Apply sunscreen before you get dressed. Believe it or not, you can burn through your bikini, so apply oil- and fragrance-free sunscreen to your entire body before you cover up with clothes.
4) Use mineral makeup. Many powders come with a built-in SPF, which protects your face if you do feel you need to wear makeup. Keep your makeup light and oil-free, to prevent further damage to the skin.
5) Wear a hat. This may seem basic, but a hat can do wonders for protecting your skin against the harmful rays of the sun. Choose one with a wide brim, for maximum coverage.
3) Take a cool shower and use a scrub to remove dead skin. Exfoliating can help remvoe dry or dead skin (just don’t do it immediately after a bad sunburn!), while a cool shower helps to lower your body’s temperature during uncomfortably hot weather.
6) Eat your Antioxidants! Munch on snacks that are high in antioxidants, in order to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and sun damage. Berries, tea, dark chocolate, and even red wine, are good sources, so treat yourself this summer! Research also says that increasing your intake of vitamins C and E helps reduce the effects of sun on the skin, while drinking enough water is always a must.
7) Use an aloe vera gel. Soothe sunburned skin with a cooling, natural gel, or lather up with yoghurt after a day in the sun, and then shower it off.